The Club was fortunate in being able to complete the 2019-20 internal Competitions before the second lockdown. To see the winners and runners-up, please go to the Games tab above and scroll down to Club Competition Winners.
Don’t forget to get your entry in to the Competitions Secretary by 27th November to play in this season’s competitions.
In line with new Government restrictions the club is closed from Thursday, 5th November until Wednesday 2nd December. The Government hope that by reducing day-to-day contact with other people this will reduce the spread of the Covid-19 infection.
It is hoped the club will open again under Tier 1 restrictions from Thursday, 3rd December.
All League games not played under Covid restrictions will be deemed a ‘draw’ and both teams awarded 1 point. The Bowlr League programme will then continue from Thursday, 3rd December.
Having completed the 2019/20 Club Competitions before this lockdown, the 2020/21 Club Competition entry forms have now been sent out to all current playing members. Please return your form to the Competitions Secretary before 27th November so that names can be entered and drawn on the Bowlr system ready to start competing in December.
The management of this club will comply with all Government guidelines. The club will be cleaned and sanitised prior to your return and will remain Covid secure.
Remember – ‘Hands, Face, Space’
Stay well and we will see you again in December.
Our brand new bowling surface was installed in July 2020.. please click here for photos and an account of the installation of our new Greengauge carpet.
WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE CLUB WILL OPEN AGAIN FROM MONDAY, 10th AUGUST FOR PRACTICE ONLY
- FREE ROLL UPS TO 30TH SEPTEMBER
- ADVANCE BOOKINGS ONLY
- RESTRICTIONS APPLY
Below is a letter from the Directors welcoming West Berks Members back to bowling. It is on a restricted basis so please read the information carefully:
The Directors have carefully studied the EIBA and Government guidelines and feel able to re-open the club on Monday, 10th August, albeit on a restricted basis.
We know members have lost over four months of indoor bowling during the Coronavirus pandemic and the Directors have generously agreed to waive ALL roll-up rink fees from 10th August until 30th September.
I am sure this will come as good news to many members, but we do understand that some of you may be cautious about returning indoors.
For your safety we have worked hard to make the club a clean and Covid secure environment. Each day the club, including the new bowls carpet, will be sanitised with a specially purchased “fogger” sanitation machine which lowers the risk of infection and the spread of flu and the Coronavirus for 24 hours. In addition, your temperature will be checked before entry. Mats, jacks and touch points will be sanitised and one way systems are in operation. PPE will be worn by staff and you are free to wear your own face covering although it is not mandatory.
Whilst you have been away we have also been busy improving the fabric of the club. The dining room and changing rooms have been decorated and the new green carpet has been fitted. We will post on the website a pictorial record of how the Greengauge fitters removed the old carpet and underlay down to the boards. How they loose laid and taped the new Formula 1 underlay and finally how the new carpet was laid, stitched and marked up ready for your return.
The Club asks all players to please abide by the following rules and to play your part in keeping the Club and fellow Members safe.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
The Directors 3rd August 2020
Please read the following information fully and carefully:
Booking a Rink
- In the initial phase running up to 30th August there will be only two sessions each day from Monday to Friday. Playing time will be limited to 1 hour and 45 minutes each with 15 minutes allowed for changeover. The sessions will commence at 9.30am and 11.30am.
- Bookings may be made up to 7 days in advance by calling the office on 01635 34840 between 9.30 and 13.30 weekdays. Bookings can also be made between 10.00 and 12.00 on Friday August 7th. Rink availability can be viewed on the Club website (wbibc.co.uk) by clicking the Bowlr tab.
- Rinks 2, 4 and 6 only may be booked.
- Bookings may be made for up to six named members per rink. It would be helpful if you could book in groups of four plus.
- We request that members restrict their bookings as only a few sessions are available each week, and we would like as many members as possible to benefit.
- If you can’t find a roll-up partner(s) please let the desk know, as there may be other members looking for a partner(s).
Arriving to Play.
- You will not be allowed access to the green unless you name is already in the booking system. All names will be held for 21 days for ‘track and trace’ purposes. Non-bowlers must also sign in with the office.
- Arriving members will enter through the normal entrance and proceed to the lobby where their temperature will be checked. They should also sanitise their hands. Anyone failing the temperature check will be refused admission.
- Members are asked to arrive no more than 15 minutes before their session time, and to be dressed ready to play, except for their shoes which will be changed in the Dining Room. Casual dress is acceptable.
- Please follow the signage to enter and exit the green.
- There will be no access to the Ladies or Gents changing rooms except for members to collect their equipment on their first visit. Ladies will access their changing room from the marked door on the right of the green.
- Members are required to take their bowls away with them at the end of their game. Bowls are not to be left in the Dining Room or Lounge areas.
- Drinks will be available from the water and coffee machines, but members are required to bring their own cups or glasses. Any items left will be discarded.
- Only the Disabled Toilet will be available. Members are asked to re-sanitise on leaving.
- Members will exit the building via the door from the dining room into the car park.
Playing your Game
- All Mats, Jacks and handrails will have been sanitised.
- The mat position is FIXED on a ‘T’ at three metres from the ditch and must not be moved during play. This will allow extra space behind the mat for social distancing.
- Player numbers are restricted to a maximum of 6 per rink.
- The Jack will not be cast but will be placed by the winning skip using his foot, at a length of his choice.
- For play, those booking rink 2 will play up rink 2 and will return by playing down rink 1. Those on rink 4 will play up rink 4 and down rink 3; those on rink 6 will play up rink 6 and down rink 5.
- This will mean that neither mats nor jacks will need to be touched by hand during the session. Please only hand touch your own bowls.
- This procedure will also help to even the wear on our new carpet.
- Jacks entering the ditch or leaving the rink will be re-placed on the ‘T’ after being re-sanitised. Ditched woods should be left for their owner to remove after the end is completed.
- Pushers will not be available.
- If you wish to mark a toucher, use only spray chalk.
- Scorecards will be available but Skips should bring their own pens. Cards should be binned on leaving the Club.
- Measuring is allowed but care should be taken not to touch the bowls or jack.
The scoreboard and chairs behind the green are not to be used
If you missed the Open Weekend and would still like to have a go at playing indoor bowls, then don’t worry. Just come along to one of our coaching sessions on Saturday mornings from 8.30 am – 10.30 am and have a try. The first taster session is always free. 13 week Saturday morning coaching course only £25. All ages from 9 years welcome. Full disabled facilities.
Can’t make Saturdays? then please call Angela on 07729 183373 and we can arrange a mutually convenient time and date for you to try your hand at bowling.
It has been medically proven that Bowls improves your general health and helps to strengthen the immune system. Playing a game of bowls gives your muscles and joints good anaerobic exercise because you are not giving your cardiovascular system a workout.
During an average game, you will:
*Bend more than 40 times
*Walk about 1260 metres
*Swing your arm more than 40 times to deliver a bowl weighing more than 3 lbs.
This gives your muscles and joints good exercise as well as exercising your mind as you try to outwit your opponent!
‘Bowls – The Sport for All’
Heartstart Thatcham have been helped by a number of individuals and organisations since being established in 2013. One of those organisations is West Berks Indoor Bowls Club (WBIBC), Newbury. The team worked with Angela Blades-Moore who set-up training sessions and fundraising events.
The WBIBC Christmas raffle was organised by club member Annie Gain with the help of fellow members Maria and Chris Bastin. Together they raised £1100, and £350 of which the club has donated to Heartstart Thatcham. This makes a total of more than £2,000 raised by the club for Heartstart Thatcham since 2016.
Director, Angela Blades-Moore commented, “I would like to thank Annie, Maria and Chris for their hard work and also our members for their generous support of Heartstart Thatcham. We are always looking for new members and if anyone is interested in taking up indoor bowls, then please contact me on 07729 183373.”
Heartstart Thatcham, together with WBIBC, have not only trained dozens of people with CPR and defibrillator skills but as scheme coordinator, Nick Young, notes “support from WBIBC has not only allowed us to place a defibrillator in the local community that is available 24/7 but has helped support us with maintenance, consumables and other ongoing costs. In short, their support is helping to save lives. We cannot thank Annie, Angela and everyone at WBIBC enough for their ongoing support.”
West Berks Indoor Bowls Club is proud to be one of the finest indoor bowls clubs in Berkshire.
Our purpose-built Indoor Bowls Club houses six superb air-conditioned rinks with a comfortable lounge/bar and restaurant facilities.
The Club’s aim is to encourage its members to play and enjoy the sport of indoor bowls regardless of their age, ability or experience. Coaching is available on Saturday mornings for anyone who wants to learn how to play or to improve their game.
For those with a competitive streak, we hold internal and external competitions up to County and National level as well as a varied programme of Ladies, Men’s and Mixed internal Leagues and friendly inter-club matches.
However, if you are looking for a gentle, social yet healthy approach we have regular two hour sessions where you can play with a group of like-minded bowlers for just £3.20.
New Members are always welcome and your first ‘taster’ session is always FREE. Our team of qualified coaches will ensure that you will be made welcome and enjoy your bowling experience with us.
If you missed the Open Weekend on Saturday, 29th and Sunday, 30th September and would like to join, then its not too late!
Coaching is held every Saturday morning from 8.30 – 10.30 am. So come along and have a go for FREE! All equipment provided. Qualified coaches will show you the basics of the game. For more details, please click on the Membership tab and then on New Members or call Angela on 07729 183373.