We hope you all managed to make the most of your Christmas and New Year celebrations, despite the restrictions of Tier 4. I’m sure we are all glad to see the back of 2020. It’s been a horrible year.
With the roll out of the vaccination programme, we can now look forward to a much happier, healthier and normal 2021.
We will, of course, re-open the club once we are told by the Government that it is safe to do so. Like you, we don’t know when this will be, but the future looks brighter.
With best wishes for a happier and healthier 2021.
Stay well, stay safe
The Bowls Committee
The Government has announced that Berkshire will move into Tier 3 from Saturday, 19th December. The club will therefore remain closed until further notice.
It is worrying for us all that the number of people testing positive for Covid-19 in West Berkshire is rising rapidly. Matt Hancock, the Secretary of State for Health, has said this rise in transmission was a “warning to us all that even after such a difficult year, we must stay vigilant”.
Enjoy your Christmas but please stay safe and follow the Government guidelines for Tier 3.
Merry Christmas to all and we look forward to meeting up again in 2021.
In order to control Covid-19, the Government has re-introduced a 3-Tier system from Wednesday, 2nd December. Along with many areas of England, West Berkshire has been placed in Tier 2.
We understand that for clubs in Tier 2 organised indoor bowls will only be permitted if it is possible for people to avoid mixing with people they do not live with (or share a support bubble with). We await clarification from our governing body, the EIBA, on what this will allow Indoor Bowls Clubs to provide. Pending this clarification, the Directors have taken the decision that WBIBC will NOT re-open on Thursday, 3rd December as planned. If this changes, we will notify you immediately.
The Government will be reviewing the areas within each Tier on 16th December 2020 (or before), which could see areas move up or down a level. It is hoped that West Berkshire will move back to Tier 1 and the club will be able to re-open at this time.
Please rest assured that as soon as we have any further information/clarification, we will let members know.
Stay well, stay safe
The Club is pleased to be able to support this very worthwhile local charity by selling the NCC 2021 Calendar with views of the Newbury area supplied by the Newbury Photography Club. Prior to lockdown, the calendars were selling like hot cakes from the office for just £7 payable on your club card. They make an ideal Christmas gift/stocking filler so don’t forget to buy yours when we return.
The Club was fortunate in being able to complete the 2019-20 internal Competitions before the second lockdown. To see the winners and runners-up, please go to the Games tab above and scroll down to Club Competition Winners.
Don’t forget to get your entry in to the Competitions Secretary by 27th November to play in this season’s competitions.
In line with new Government restrictions the club is closed from Thursday, 5th November until Wednesday 2nd December. The Government hope that by reducing day-to-day contact with other people this will reduce the spread of the Covid-19 infection.
It is hoped the club will open again under Tier 1 restrictions from Thursday, 3rd December.
All League games not played under Covid restrictions will be deemed a ‘draw’ and both teams awarded 1 point. The Bowlr League programme will then continue from Thursday, 3rd December.
Having completed the 2019/20 Club Competitions before this lockdown, the 2020/21 Club Competition entry forms have now been sent out to all current playing members. Please return your form to the Competitions Secretary before 27th November so that names can be entered and drawn on the Bowlr system ready to start competing in December.
The management of this club will comply with all Government guidelines. The club will be cleaned and sanitised prior to your return and will remain Covid secure.
Remember – ‘Hands, Face, Space’
Stay well and we will see you again in December.
Not looking forward to the long winter months, then why not give indoor bowls a try?
Maybe you are looking for exercise and a bit of social contact? Or maybe you are competitive but can’t play your usual sport any more?
Whatever your reason, you can play safely all year round at West Berks Indoor Bowls Club in a Covid secure environment at a level and time that suits you.
A new 10 week coaching course for beginners started on Saturday, 2nd October from 9.00 am – 11.00 am.
Our brand new bowling surface was installed in July 2020.. please click here for photos and an account of the installation of our new Greengauge carpet.
to Pete Lumber, owner of The Newbury and the 137 Gin Distillery in Bartholomew Street, Newbury. At the start of the pandemic Peter turned his hand to making hand sanitiser for key workers, instead of his usual award-winning gin. He has kindly provided the Club with hand sanitiser completely free of charge, so thank you Peter.
WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE CLUB WILL OPEN AGAIN FROM MONDAY, 10th AUGUST FOR PRACTICE ONLY
- FREE ROLL UPS TO 30TH SEPTEMBER
- ADVANCE BOOKINGS ONLY
- RESTRICTIONS APPLY
Below is a letter from the Directors welcoming West Berks Members back to bowling. It is on a restricted basis so please read the information carefully:
The Directors have carefully studied the EIBA and Government guidelines and feel able to re-open the club on Monday, 10th August, albeit on a restricted basis.
We know members have lost over four months of indoor bowling during the Coronavirus pandemic and the Directors have generously agreed to waive ALL roll-up rink fees from 10th August until 30th September.
I am sure this will come as good news to many members, but we do understand that some of you may be cautious about returning indoors.
For your safety we have worked hard to make the club a clean and Covid secure environment. Each day the club, including the new bowls carpet, will be sanitised with a specially purchased “fogger” sanitation machine which lowers the risk of infection and the spread of flu and the Coronavirus for 24 hours. In addition, your temperature will be checked before entry. Mats, jacks and touch points will be sanitised and one way systems are in operation. PPE will be worn by staff and you are free to wear your own face covering although it is not mandatory.
Whilst you have been away we have also been busy improving the fabric of the club. The dining room and changing rooms have been decorated and the new green carpet has been fitted. We will post on the website a pictorial record of how the Greengauge fitters removed the old carpet and underlay down to the boards. How they loose laid and taped the new Formula 1 underlay and finally how the new carpet was laid, stitched and marked up ready for your return.
The Club asks all players to please abide by the following rules and to play your part in keeping the Club and fellow Members safe.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
The Directors 3rd August 2020
Please read the following information fully and carefully:
Booking a Rink
- In the initial phase running up to 30th August there will be only two sessions each day from Monday to Friday. Playing time will be limited to 1 hour and 45 minutes each with 15 minutes allowed for changeover. The sessions will commence at 9.30am and 11.30am.
- Bookings may be made up to 7 days in advance by calling the office on 01635 34840 between 9.30 and 13.30 weekdays. Bookings can also be made between 10.00 and 12.00 on Friday August 7th. Rink availability can be viewed on the Club website (wbibc.co.uk) by clicking the Bowlr tab.
- Rinks 2, 4 and 6 only may be booked.
- Bookings may be made for up to six named members per rink. It would be helpful if you could book in groups of four plus.
- We request that members restrict their bookings as only a few sessions are available each week, and we would like as many members as possible to benefit.
- If you can’t find a roll-up partner(s) please let the desk know, as there may be other members looking for a partner(s).
Arriving to Play.
- You will not be allowed access to the green unless you name is already in the booking system. All names will be held for 21 days for ‘track and trace’ purposes. Non-bowlers must also sign in with the office.
- Arriving members will enter through the normal entrance and proceed to the lobby where their temperature will be checked. They should also sanitise their hands. Anyone failing the temperature check will be refused admission.
- Members are asked to arrive no more than 15 minutes before their session time, and to be dressed ready to play, except for their shoes which will be changed in the Dining Room. Casual dress is acceptable.
- Please follow the signage to enter and exit the green.
- There will be no access to the Ladies or Gents changing rooms except for members to collect their equipment on their first visit. Ladies will access their changing room from the marked door on the right of the green.
- Members are required to take their bowls away with them at the end of their game. Bowls are not to be left in the Dining Room or Lounge areas.
- Drinks will be available from the water and coffee machines, but members are required to bring their own cups or glasses. Any items left will be discarded.
- Only the Disabled Toilet will be available. Members are asked to re-sanitise on leaving.
- Members will exit the building via the door from the dining room into the car park.
Playing your Game
- All Mats, Jacks and handrails will have been sanitised.
- The mat position is FIXED on a ‘T’ at three metres from the ditch and must not be moved during play. This will allow extra space behind the mat for social distancing.
- Player numbers are restricted to a maximum of 6 per rink.
- The Jack will not be cast but will be placed by the winning skip using his foot, at a length of his choice.
- For play, those booking rink 2 will play up rink 2 and will return by playing down rink 1. Those on rink 4 will play up rink 4 and down rink 3; those on rink 6 will play up rink 6 and down rink 5.
- This will mean that neither mats nor jacks will need to be touched by hand during the session. Please only hand touch your own bowls.
- This procedure will also help to even the wear on our new carpet.
- Jacks entering the ditch or leaving the rink will be re-placed on the ‘T’ after being re-sanitised. Ditched woods should be left for their owner to remove after the end is completed.
- Pushers will not be available.
- If you wish to mark a toucher, use only spray chalk.
- Scorecards will be available but Skips should bring their own pens. Cards should be binned on leaving the Club.
- Measuring is allowed but care should be taken not to touch the bowls or jack.
The scoreboard and chairs behind the green are not to be used